The time has come to celebrate all the listeners, lovers, fixers and friends—the women that most people simply know as “mom”! The Scout Elves have the perfect homemade gifts to celebrate moms everywhere! Dads and kids can get together to plan a special surprise for mom, or moms and little ones can take on these fun tea party–themed projects to spend quality time together on Mother’s Day, courtesy of the Scout Elves.
Everyone knows you can’t have a cup of tea or coffee without a proper mug to sip from! Moms will love this custom-made mug, courtesy of their favorite artists.
- White or light-colored mug
- Oil-based permanent paint pens
- WASH and dry the mug before beginning the creative process. Helpful hint: You can find a variety of mugs at most dollar stores.
- Have kids USE paint pens to create a design of their choice. A personalized message or drawing will make an extra special memento for mom. Helpful hint: If the paint gets smudged or kids make a mistake, just rub away the errant paint with rubbing alcohol, and try again.
- SET the completed mugs inside of a cold oven. Then, turn the oven on to 350 degrees. Do not preheat the oven.
- Once the oven reaches 350 degrees, BAKE the mugs for 30 minutes, and then, turn the oven off. Leave the mugs inside to cool for a couple of hours.
- Once the mugs have completely cooled, REMOVE them from the oven. Present this mug to mom. It is one she will treasure for years to come!
Turn the ordinary into the extraordinary by decking out a tea towel. Moms will smile each time they look at the beautiful towel decorated just for them.
- Tea towel
- Fabric pens or fabric paint
- LAY the tea towel on a flat, dry surface.
- Have kids DECORATE the tea towel using fabric pens and a little imagination!
- LEAVE the towel on a flat surface to dry.
- GIVE it to mom.
This special bouquet serves as a beautiful centerpiece and a sweet snack! Moms will love looking at this unique decoration as much as they’ll enjoy its delicious “flowers”!
- 24 mini cupcakes (either store bought or homemade)
- 24 toothpicks
- 1 polystyrene foam ball
- 1 flower pot (needs to have the same diameter as foam ball)
- INSERT a toothpick into the bottom of each cupcake, and then, remove it, creating a small hole. This will make it easier to attach the cupcakes to the foam ball later.
- NESTLE the polystyrene foam ball into the flower pot, making sure it is balanced securely. Helpful hint: This foam ball and flower pot were both 6” in diameter.
- Starting at the top, INSERT a toothpick into the polystyrene foam ball where you want to place your first cupcake. Using the hole you created in the bottom of the cupcake earlier, place the cupcake on the toothpick.
- REPEAT step three, carefully placing the rest of the cupcakes onto the foam ball. Helpful hint: Be careful not to disturb the icing on the cupcakes.
- Once the foam ball is covered in cupcakes, you’ll have the perfect centerpiece! SET the table, and host a special tea party for mom. The cupcake bouquet can serve as both your centerpiece and snack, while your adorable new mug and thoughtful tea towel make great gifts!
Looking for more fun craft ideas? See what the Scout Elves are making in Scout Elf Craft Corner!
Please remember that when attempting the craft included in this post children should always be supervised by an adult. When using crafting supplies or products, always read manufacturer’s instructions and warnings.